Sunday, March 29, 2009

Restoration

My son and I in front of the Kaiser

Any time you buy an old car you have to decide what you want to do with it. Just drive it? "Fix it up?--this could be as simple as a basic tune-up or involve new paint, upholstery etc.--or restore it? And if it is a restoration you want to do will you aim for a concours quality job (meaning absolutely correct and as good as or better than the car rolled off the assembly line floor at the factory), or for a "driver?" Will you keep it "stock" (sticking to the original engine, wheels, tires, paint, upholstery, etc., etc.,) or will you opt for a customized job--perhaps a mild custom, which might involve nothing more than an upgrade from a 6 to a 12 volt electrical system, disc brakes and maybe "cherry" red paint, or another non-factory color.

Personally restoration, to me, means to bring something back to a former state, not to alter it. I love old cars not only for their integrity, solid engineering and beautiful styling but also for their quirks. I love a 6-volt electrical system with an ammeter whose needle jerks to "discharge" momentarily every time the turn signal light blinks. I love drum brakes and have never seen a compelling reason to switch over to discs. In all the years I have driven cars with all-drum-brake systems I have never felt unsafe or felt like I needed more braking power. I even love the old vacuum operated windshield wipers that slow down to a crawl when climbing a hill. Some other things I love about old cars (and hate about customizations) are their steering wheels, those distinctive cast plastic or painted, chrome-ring affixed, blazing medallion decked, huge and beautiful steering wheels found in cars of the 40's and 50's. When I see a '49 Mercury with a late model, small plastic or vinyl steering wheel, when I see a modern CD player inserted in place of a tube-type radio, when I see modern bucket seats upholstered in gray cloth in place of a uniquely designed, color coordinated 1950's bench seat, it is all I can do to keep from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off! A restoration should do just that: restore the car.
With that said, my plans for this Kaiser involve a period of driving it, using it and having fun for a number of years (at least until I can get out of school and get a house with a garage/shop), after which I would like to perform a full, body-off-frame, restoration. The car as it is is in fine mechanical and cosmetic shape, but there are several deviations from stock which I mentioned in an earlier post, including paint color, seat insert fabric and tail-lights. The motor (which is a replacement, but the original type) is painted an incorrect color of green. Even after I restore it it will not be a trailer queen, i.e. never driven except on and off a trailer at shows. Nevertheless, once it is restored I will probably be more hesitant to drive it regularly, but will plan to take it out occasionally.



The white inserts are non-original (black vinyl is stock)



This is the B-pillar which still has the original Laguna cloth with rectangular patterns. This is the material that should be where the white inserts currently are on the seats and door panels.


So there is the plan. There are a few mechanical issues that need to be dealt with before I can drive it regularly, which I will post in due time. For now, I am just happy to have it, excited to work on it and looking forward to many years of enjoyment from an automobile "built to better the best on the road."

Lower Dashboard

Eric loves to drive--especially if it's a Kaiser!

No comments: